{vb:raw includedgeophp} Hully Gully Christmas - WebSeth

Go Back   WebSeth > General > The Wall

Old 11-24-2012, 02:22   #1
GayPanther

GayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud of
Hully Gully Christmas

In the fine tradition of Reverend Bluejeans, I am shamed anew to find out this week that the the Burl Ives classic "Have a Hully Gully Christmas" is actually "Have a HOLLY JOLLY Christmas".

It never ends for me and my dementia.

Come on, doesn't it sound like it...sort of...?

Grateful for The Dead
GayPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:01   #2
TomNerdy

TomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hully Gully Christmas

I am working on some Christmas music. That actually is not a bad idea. Hully Gully Christmas...
TomNerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50   #3
GayPanther

GayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud ofGayPanther has much to be proud of

I saw the ones on iTunes and youtube and one other place that escapes me atm, Tom.
You are sounding great - I especially liked Christmas Island.

Grateful for The Dead
Old 11-24-2012, 16:14   #4
TomNerdy

TomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond reputeTomNerdy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, GP. Christmas Island is a song I first heard in the 1940s being sung by Ernest Tubb, It was also recorded by The Andrews Sisters. It never became a big hit. Ernest Tubb also was the first to sing Blue Christmas. That did not become a hit until Elvis recorded it in 1958.

I recorded Christmas Island in the 1990s in California. I have shopped it around to different record companies over the years, but it was never accepted by anyone. I finally decided to release it through ny CDBaby account. After I uploaded it they sent me a message they would be featuring it on 2 pages. That never happened for me before. I am surprised that some money is actually beginning to roll in.

Yesterday I uploaded my Country version of The Christmas Song. I will see how it does. The good thing about Christmas songs is they come back year after year.

Burl Ives is one of my all time favorites. He had great recordings, but I would guess Hully Gully... oops, I mean Holly Jolly Christmas was his biggest seller over the years. I liked his version of I Found My Best Friend in the Dog Pound. Also Mr. In Between.
Old 11-24-2012, 17:06   #5
GayPanther

Tom your voice is remarkably rich.
It's a reserve of power that is so pleasant - kind of like Willie Nelson, who you know could just belt one out into the rafters but chooses to pull you in instead.
________

Okay I didn't mean to post lyrics miscues but I follow shiny objects and am easily distracted.

Round John Virgin

The Song: Silent Night

"Round John Virgin, mother and child..."

It should be noted that I sang this, and Hully Gully, in a large group where I could be busted and ridiculed en masse

Grateful for The Dead
Old 11-24-2012, 17:37   #6
TomNerdy

Thanks, GP. Round John Virgin does sound right. Of course, many Johns are not virgins. That would be a good stage name. He would be a Western sidekick like Gabby Hayes or Smiley Burnette or Fuzzy Knight.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34   #7
LeeInChicago

LeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud of

after the laughs, I'm left with the question, just how many songs did Elvis cover?
LeeInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08   #8
TomNerdy

Hi, Lee. Elvis did have many hits from previously recorded songs. His first Sun single was Blue Moon of Kentucky and That's All Right, Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup had a Rhythm and Blues hit with That's All Right in the 1940s. Bill Monroe had a Bluegrass hit, before Bluegrass was invented, with Blue Moon of Kentucky. He had other cover songs on Sun, such as Harbor Lights and Blue Moon. Another Blue Moon cover of Elvis' was When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold, which was a hit in the 1940s for my friend, Cliffie Stone. That was on RCA. One of his early RCA hits was Hound Dog. That had been done previously with different lyrics by Big Mama Thornton. He also had great success with Fever, Hurt, Tell Me Why, Such a Night, C C Rider, One Night and several Eddy Arnold songs like I'll Hold You in My Heart and I Really Don't Want to Know. He did some Little Richard songs early on. I liked his version of Rip It Up.In his second movie he did a very brief segment of Detour which was a Spade Cooley song. There were of course, many others. Elvis' worst songs in my opinion were those which were written for his movies. He really did a great job with Hawaiian Wedding Song and Unchained Melody and Little Egypt and something called Are You Lonesome Tonight. He did call Ray Peterson to get permission to sing The Wonder of You which Ray had sung but not written. Ray said, "You can record that without asking me. You are Elvis Presley." Elvis said, "I can't record that without asking you. You're Ray Peterson."
Old 11-25-2012, 23:51   #9
LeeInChicago

LeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud ofLeeInChicago has much to be proud of

Tom, there was also, 'You were always on my mind.' which was then covered by Willie Nelson and then the Pet Shop Boys.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:00   #10
TomNerdy

Some other things he did that were a bit unusual;
Blue Suede Shoes is often associated with Elvis. Most people are familiar with his version. Actually, Carl Perkins did it originally and Carl had a million seller with Blue Suede Shoes before Elvis had his first million seller of Heartbreak Hotel.
White Christmas was done by Elvis for his Christmas album. Irving Berlin said that Elvis ruined the song. Irving Berlin called it "profane." Elvis was actually doing the basic arrangement of the song which was done by Clyde McFatter and the Drifters. Irving Berlin tried to get the song banned from radio.
Elvis had a song on his album Pot Luck which was quite excellent but it was not available as a single. The song was Suspicion. A fellow named Terry Stafford recorded the song as a single. He sounded almost exactly like Elvis. His record went to number 3 on the charts. Years later Elvis version was released as a single covering Terry Stafford's cover of Elvis. Elvis' version did not become a big hit.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31   #11
GayPanther

Was "My Way" mentioned, written I believe by Paul Anka for Frank Sinatra?

And my favorite Elvis song, not that I am an expert on him

Grateful for The Dead
Old 11-27-2012, 03:16   #12
TomNerdy

That was not mentioned but it is an excellent cover by Elvis. Paul Anka wrote the English lyrics. I think it might be the only major hit with the word "spit" in it. Also it is one of only two big hits I know which begins with the word "And."
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41   #13
TomNerdy

Reverend Blue Jeans appears again. While I looked for the song that begins with "And," I discovered the lyrics are not "And now the purple dust..." which is what I have sung all my life. This was my mom's favorite song.

and one bonus "And" from Mr. Anka;
Old 11-27-2012, 12:22   #14
Spanky

Spanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud of

And...

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33   #15
Spanky

Spanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud ofSpanky has much to be proud of

And another...

Old 11-27-2012, 13:50   #16
GayPanther

WOW the Mac Attack when Peter Green, Bob Welch and Danny Kirwin were still in and out of the band.

I love you Stevie Nicks, great job with the house, but you had a great foundation

Best Album EVER...Top 20 anyway...

You better take your time
You know there's no escape
The future sends a sign of things we will create

Baby it's alright
And so have faith that you invent the future that you want to face

How many people sit home at night
Wondering if this will be easy tonight
Wondering if children will bring in the light
Inherit the world, or inherit the night

Wondering if neighbors are thinking the same
All of the wild things tomorrow we'll tame
Talking of journeys and laughing insane

And I know I'm not the only one to ever spend a night inventing future games

Coolest cover picture too

Grateful for The Dead

Last edited by GayPanther; 11-27-2012 at 14:14. Reason: I do believe I now need computer glasses
Old 11-27-2012, 23:30   #17
LeeInChicago

all, thank you for helping me inadvertently hijack this thread.

music is a joy.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54   #18
Radioriot

Radioriot is just really niceRadioriot is just really niceRadioriot is just really niceRadioriot is just really niceRadioriot is just really nice

Back on topic:

"Deck the halls of with balls of Holly." Because most people don't know what a bough is in the 21st century.

On a different subject:
Has anybody every gone hunting Mistletoe? Three ways to do it. 1. Use a long rope that you can throw up into the tree and pull it down or 2. Use a shotgun to shoot it down or 3. climb up the tree to cut it loose.

Actually, when I lived in Tenn it grew so low on some trees that I was about to just reach up and pull some down. It's a parasite that grows on a variety of trees in the US. Our Church Youth group used to sell it for fund raising at Christmas time.
Radioriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:39   #19
GayPanther

I thought it was a shrub
I've been "Looking for Mistletoe in All the Wrong Places".

And Lee my friend, it is not possible for any comment by you to be anything but a positive thing in any thread.
No apologies needed.
It is my belief that many threads these days could use a good hijacking anyway

Grateful for The Dead
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06   #20
overboard

overboard is a splendid one to beholdoverboard is a splendid one to beholdoverboard is a splendid one to beholdoverboard is a splendid one to beholdoverboard is a splendid one to beholdoverboard is a splendid one to beholdoverboard is a splendid one to behold

I thought a bough was what you did with ribbons

We have tons of holly along the lake and in the forest. The kids from the town castle (a home/school for disadvantaged children) sell it at the christmas market. I never thought about how they get it down. I'm pretty sure there's no shotgun involved.

overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 14:08   #21
Spanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayPanther View Post
WOW the Mac Attack when Peter Green, Bob Welch and Danny Kirwin were still in and out of the band.

Then Play On, Kiln House, Future Games and Bare Trees were all good albums but I thought they lost their way a bit after that. They survived the loss of Peter Green because they still had Danny Kirwan as the driving force. Bob Welch was competent but rather bland and they started to veer towards sentimentality.

The Danny Kirwan tracks stand out from this period. Indeed one of my favourite songs of all time appears unheralded near the end of Bare Trees. Dust is based on the first two stanzas of Rupert Brooke' poem of the same name and is simply sublime.

Dust
by Rupert Brooke (1887-1915)

When the white flame in us is gone,
And we that lost the world's delight
Stiffen in darkness, left alone
To crumble in our separate night;

When your swift hair is quiet in death,
And through the lips corruption thrust
Has stilled the labour of my breath---
When we are dust, when we are dust!---

Not dead, not undesirous yet,
Still sentient, still unsatisfied,
We'll ride the air, and shine, and flit,
Around the places where we died,

And dance as dust before the sun,
And light of foot, and unconfined,
Hurry from road to road, and run
About the errands of the wind.

And every mote, on earth or air,
Will speed and gleam, down later days,
And like a secret pilgrim fare
By eager and invisible ways,

Nor ever rest, nor ever lie,
Till, beyond thinking, out of view,
One mote of all the dust that's I
Shall meet one atom that was you.

Then in some garden hushed from wind,
Warm in a sunset's afterglow,
The lovers in the flowers will find
A sweet and strange unquiet grow

Upon the peace; and, past desiring,
So high a beauty in the air,
And such a light, and such a quiring,
And such a radiant ecstasy there,

They'll know not if it's fire, or dew,
Or out of earth, or in the height,
Singing, or flame, or scent, or hue,
Or two that pass, in light, to light,

Out of the garden, higher, higher. . . .
But in that instant they shall learn
The shattering ecstasy of our fire,
And the weak passionless hearts will burn

And faint in that amazing glow,
Until the darkness close above;
And they will know---poor fools, they'll know!---
One moment, what it is to love.

Last edited by Spanky; 11-28-2012 at 14:28.
Old 11-28-2012, 14:18   #22
Spanky

Probably my favourite album cover too.
Old 11-28-2012, 18:41   #23
GayPanther

The phases of that band are intense and amazing, and every one had something special to me.

It's offensive to some Mac purists to admit appreciating the rather abrupt onslaught of Nicks and Buckingham, but some Mac is better than no Mac.

While I had little use for Lindsey Buckingham (though his guitar playing is extremely underrated, possibly because he appears to appreciate his won talent more than I do lol) and I fell in serious love with Stevie Nicks.
The young coked out Welsh Witch ballerina or the current clean and sober survivor.

Who on earth can resist this crazed witch twirling on stage singing

Rock on gold dust woman
Take your silver spoon
And dig your grave
Heartless challenge
Pick your path and I'll pray

Wake up in the morning
See your sunrise how she loves to go down
Lousy lovers pick their prey
But they never cry out loud

Did she make you cry
Make you break down
Shatter your illusions of love
Is it over now, do you know how
Pick up the pieces and go home.

Rock on Ancient Queen
Follow those who pale
In your shadow

Rulers make bad lovers
You better put your kingdom up for sale

Did she make you cry
Make you break down
Shatter your illusions of love
Is it over now- do you know how
Pickup the pieces and go home.

'Dust' has been somewhat heralded, I know the song well.
There is a great cover band in Boston (I find some cover bands really good) that does a version of Dust as their encore and it is both reverent and compelling.

Grateful for The Dead
Old 11-28-2012, 18:47   #24
kyaume

kyaume is a splendid one to beholdkyaume is a splendid one to beholdkyaume is a splendid one to beholdkyaume is a splendid one to beholdkyaume is a splendid one to beholdkyaume is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to kyaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Probably my favourite album cover too.
Bare trees in the fog make for good imagery. Before Piet Mondriaan (who later called himself Mondrian to appeal to foreign tongues) produced this:

and this:

he made this:

and this:

or this:

which no doubt had its source in this:

and this

So maybe his abstract work was not so abstract after all.

Obviously he had something with bare trees. Maybe the vista from his childhood's window was what turned him on the road of bare-treeness?

Old 11-28-2012, 18:52   #25
GayPanther

I love to tongue foreigners....oops sorry, misread that

The 3rd one you show, the larger one, I actually have a print of, it's striking indeed.

Grateful for The Dead